Thursday, July 2, 2009

Diversify your Marketing with a Pro Athlete!

Stars and Stripes National, Pittsburgh, PA (Matt Pohlkamp far right)

In January, my husband got an email with some unwanted news that many Americans have gotten this year - "you no longer have a job". My husband is a professional BMX racer. BMX racing is historically a volatile industry with bike companies coming and going. Even the best of Professional BMXers have been known to race a season without a 'ride' or sponsor. Losing his bike sponsor was not in the plan, especially with our efforts to launch our business Celly Smellys.

"What are we going to do?" he asked me desperately. With my stomach in my throat, a pile of bills on my desk, a warehouse full of inventory and a dream in my heart I simply replied "we have to fight for this".

Almost instantaneously, my husband and I turned to one another and we knew what we had to do. We googled a few race uniform companies and got a quote. I burned art logos to a disk and we got it in the mail. "Can we really do this?" I asked my husband with uncertainty. But it was already written in the stars - Team Celly Smellys was born.

Within a few weeks we had jerseys, press releases out to the major BMX websites and pictures for the BMX magazine publications. What better way to represent our blood, sweat and tears than to have my husband racing for a company he really cares about - OURS!

My husband Matt got a 2nd and 3rd place finish in South Park, PA Elite race series this past weekend. Did I mention he is also the oldest athlete in the Elite BMX race series? He may be the oldest (at 33 years young), but I'm sure he has the most determination because we are racing for our dreams. I know not everyone has access to a professional athlete, but the take home message here is think outside the box! Don't hesitate to get on the gate and jump for your dreams. My husband is living proof that anything is possible.

Thank you Justin Rogers, our amateur BMX team member for winning his class at the Stars and Stripes National in Pittsburgh this weekend. What a way to let the world know about Celly Smellys. We are proud to support the sport of BMX and we thank the BMX community for welcoming us with open arms - and lots of dirt!








No comments:

Post a Comment